Saturday, August 29, 2015

Paleo Muffins for a Treat


I've been eating bread lately - yup,  from actual glutinous wheat flour - and I notice once I have some, I want more.  Must quit that!  Earlier in this year of health I had made some paleo muffins, and they were a real treat when I wasn't eating any grain or carby items, so I decided to stock up.  Here are five recipes that I really enjoy.  Four of the recipes are available online - just click the recipe names.

You'll notice all are based on almond flour.  I used Bob's Red Mill Finely Ground Almond Meal/Flour.  In the past I've ground my own almonds in the coffee grinder (don't use the food processor - it made ugly scratches on the plastic bowl) but that made a heavier flour than Bob's.  The texture isn't truly "carby" but they taste very good, and one is satisfying without causing a craving for more.

Here's a product I highly recommend - silicone muffin/cupcake forms.  These grain-free muffins tend to stick to the muffin tins or papers but they lift right out of the silicone.  You can wash them and use them over and over, and they save all the time of greasing the muffin tins.  Here they are as I fill them with the zucchini muffin batter.





Zucchini Muffins from Against All Grain

Could have filled the cups a bit less and gotten 10 muffins instead of 9.  The grain-free muffins don't rise as much as a regular wheat muffin, but these did go over the top just a bit.  I like these muffins with a little butter spread on them.




Abascal Way Breakfast Muffins

These have a lot of egg protein and are great for breakfast, as well as an anytime treat.  They are the most hard-core healthy-tasting of the five muffins, as they have no sweetener other than the bananas, but they have a rich pumpkin flavor, and the addition of some chopped apple, chopped walnuts and a dash of cinnamon makes them quite tasty.

This recipe calls for one cup of mashed ripe banana and I measured - this is two bananas.  Whenever some bananas get overripe, I toss them whole into the freezer.  They look terrible when I take them out, but they can be thawed in the microwave and slit open and used for cooking and smoothies.  The flavor is just fine and they are pretty much already mashed.




The Detoxinista's Raspberry Chocolate Chip Muffins

Yum!  These muffins were introduced to me by my daughter-in-law Alethea, and they are delicious!  I can't think of anything that could possibly improve them, except perhaps a second helping  : )





Hidden Veggie Muffin from the Against All Grain cookbook

These have a lot of ingredients, but they go together pretty quickly and are yummy.  They are sweetened with dates.



Blueberry Muffins from Bravo for Paleo

This was my first visit to Bravo for Paleo.  Monica Bravo is a pre-med student who blogs about healthy food.  I think her patients are going to be very fortunate!  I'll be checking out more of her recipes.  I used less of the cinnamon than in the recipe, and these were delicious.




Okay - now our freezer is stocked with healthy, legal treats that I can have when I just need a little something mid-morning or before bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment