Sunday, December 28, 2014

What Should I Eat?



 I spent some time last year reading books about nutrition, and the low-carb, high-fat theory resonates best for me, even though I spent most of my life trying to eat low fat.  I totally get it that the white flours are not nutritious in the same way as the beautiful items in the produce section, however it takes some retraining to reach for a green smoothie and veggie omelet instead of coffee and toast! 



Dr. Terry Wahls is a physician and professor of medicine who studied and experimented on herself to find the best diet for her Multiple Sclerosis, and improved enough to trade her wheelchair for a bike.  

The book is packed with information about how our brains and bodies use the food we eat, and what they need to be healthy and thrive.  Her explanations make sense to me and her own improvement in health is encouraging.






Here’s what to eat on the first level (of three) on her diet
·      NINE cups of veggies and fruits per day
o   3 cups leafy greens
o   3 cups bright colored vegetables and fruits
o   3 cups sulfur-rich vegetables (cabbage, onions, mushrooms)
·      NO gluten, NO dairy
·      High-quality food – organic, grass-fed, wild-caught
·      NO sugar, artificial sweeteners, preservatives, trans fats, microwaved foods

…and this is only level 1!  I know I’ll never achieve this perfectly, but I don’t think that’s necessary.  If I only aim at this the best I can, it will be a great improvement over the way I have been eating.









Here’s another doctor/author who I think has good advice.  Again, low-carb, high-fat, but not just bacon and butter.  Dr. Ron Rosedale focuses on getting our omega-3’s to lower our leptin levels, increasing leptin sensitivity, turning off hunger and turning on fat burning.  He offers 28 days of sample menus that are not too complicated, and the recipes I have tried are actually pretty tasty.

Okay, I do have a tendency to get excited every time I read something new about diet, and I’m a sucker for testimonials, but I think I have chosen some sound science here, as a  model for my own eating.





Saw this on Facebook - I'm sorry I don't know who to credit.  It is so true!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment