Thursday, February 5, 2015

Swimming!

This morning I accomplished a mini-goal on my list of signs I'm getting stronger.  I swam for 1/2 hour without stopping.  It was my fourth trip to the Y for a morning swim, and I'm enjoying it.  At first I was a bit nervous - how to know which lane to swim in, what if all lanes are taken, and can I make it to the other end of the pool?  Now that I've been there a few times I'm more comfortable, and getting into a routine of what to pack, where to go, what to do.

I can make it to the end of the pool doing the crawl (you probably know that's the stroke we usually picture as "swimming"), but it's pretty tiring, so I swim a series of four laps - first: crawl to the far end, second: side-stroke back, third: breast stroke, fourth: side-stroke on other side.  Today I did that six times in 30 minutes.  The first day I was focusing mostly on not getting water up my nose, but I noticed today I could think about good form and work on getting my face in the water more.

They keep the water temperature just perfect - no shock getting in, but not too warm for swimming.  My half hour of laps felt really good, and the hot tub afterwards is a lovely reward.

Great place to spend a rainy morning  : )

1 comment: